Saturday, March 3, 2012

Daily Mail Spreads 2012 Suicide Idea


For a publication with the reach of the Daily Mail, suggesting that some people are considering killing themselves – as a response to the 2012 meme – is irresponsible. It will almost certainly cause some additional people to make such a consideration.
There is nothing new in the article at all – just a mish mash of articles that have appeared over the years.

David Morrison, senior scientist at the NASA Astrobiology Institute, said he had been receiving about ten emails a day from worried members of the public who are ‘seriously, seriously upset’.
A young woman from Denmark wrote to him saying: ‘Mother of one daughter and another coming.

Yesterday I was considering killing myself, the baby in my stomach and my beloved two-year-old daughter before December 2012 for fear of having to experience the Earth’s destruction.’
Another, a 13-year-old American, wrote: ‘I am considering suicide. I am scared to tears?.?.?. I don’t want to live any more, I deserve an explanation.’
A third wrote: ‘I am so scared. My only friend is my little dog. When should I put her to sleep so she won’t suffer when the Earth is destroyed?’
This story was doing the rounds back in 2009, at National Geographic for example.
I receive a high number of emails from worried folk, and the impression I get is that for those who are suicidal, if the 2012 meme didn’t exist, they’d find another excuse. Suicide is certainly not a rational response to something that probably won’t happen.
If you or someone you know is suffering from fear of 2012, there are many kind souls at 2012Forum.com who will listen and help you understand the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment